I start by going over the rules. I created six rules posters that I go over with the students so they understand how they should use and take care of their iPads appropriately. We take time to talk about why each one is important and what could happen if we don't follow them. The rules are:
1. Always carry your iPad with 2 hands.
2. Wash your hands before using your iPad. (This rule is more for classroom teachers when students eat snack)
3. No food or drinks near the iPads. (I actually have an area in the room where students put their water bottles when they bring them for PE so they are out of the way.
4. Only use the apps the teacher tells you to use. (This is HUGE! )
5. Only use the iPad while you're sitting down.
6. Always walk while you're carrying your iPad.
The second thing I go over with the students is "3 Before Mrs. B!" This means that if students have a question they should ask 3 other students around them before they ask me for help. Most of the time, questions are about steps that they have to take and for the majority of the time half the class is able to follow along. So when someone has a question the chances are very high that another student can help them. This provides students with leadership opportunities as well as allows me to help students who are having any technology issues that another student can't help with. This has been a life saver. There are up to 25 students and 1 of me and having this little phrase has helped save the stress of trying to help EVERY student. It's just not possible especially in 30 minutes! Here are the posters I made for that. They aren't available in my TpT store but if you would like a copy you can e-mail me at email@example.com. I can also change them to match your name.
Hopefully you find these tips helpful in your class!